The list below contains some of our Recommended products and brands. Each stands out as being a heart-healthy option in its class… although some are best reserved as an occasional snack rather than a regular meal.
For general tips on finding healthy options, see our Shopping for Heart Health page.
If you have favorite heart-healthy products, use our Recommendation Form to tell us about them!
- 4C Salt Free Bread Crumbs4C makes it easy to limit the sodium in your diet. 4C Salt Free Seasoned Crumbs are zesty and flavorful, but contain no saturated fat and no sodium. See more Recommended Heart-Healthy products! Where to Buy 4C bread crumbs are available at many supermarkets, and at Amazon.com.
- Angelic Bakehouse Bread & WrapsAngelic’s Reduced Sodium and No Salt Added products are vegan, kosher, non-GMO, and low fat. Given all that, we weren’t expecting much from the flavor or texture. We were therefore surprised to find that this bread is good. It has a nice flavor and a soft but firm texture that’s great for sandwiches. Note that… Continue reading Angelic Bakehouse Bread & Wraps
- Annie’s Reduced Sodium Macaroni and CheeseSometimes we just crave comfort food. And for those of us that grew up in the Uniter States, packaged macaroni and cheese brings back great childhood memories! Sadly, most packaged mac & cheese is loaded with sodium… but there is one brand that is paying attention to our health needs. Annie’s makes a reduced sodium*… Continue reading Annie’s Reduced Sodium Macaroni and Cheese
- Coleman Natural Uncured Beef Hot DogsHot dogs are an integral part of the American diet, and one of the hardest things to give up. Sadly, they are also very high in saturated fat and sodium. Coleman Natural beef hot dogs have less than half the sodium of most other brands (260 mg) and 3.5 g of saturated fat. Their beef is raised… Continue reading Coleman Natural Uncured Beef Hot Dogs
- Dave’s Killer BreadBread is almost always high in sodium, and is often high in fats. The folks at Dave’s Killer Bread have created a line of bread and baked goods that are lower in sodium and fat, packed with healthy whole grains, and surprisingly tasty! In addition to half a dozen types of bread – including whole… Continue reading Dave’s Killer Bread
- Fischer & Wieser SaucesFischer and Wieser make a great variety of sauces, salsas, jams, and salad dressings. Most are low sodium, and many are sodium free. Our favorites are the Roasted Pineapple Habañero Sauce, and the Mango Ginger Habañero Sauce. They have great flavor and a nice “kick” without being too hot, and both are zero sodium! See… Continue reading Fischer & Wieser Sauces
- Golden Home Ultra Thin Pizza CrustGolden Home ultra thin pizza crusts are a great start at building a heart-healthy pizza… perfect when paired with Silver Palate San Marzano Low Sodium Pizza Sauce! One-third of a crust has just 0.5 g of saturated fat, and 80 mg of sodium. Golden home also offers whole-wheat crusts. See more Recommended Heart-Healthy products! Where… Continue reading Golden Home Ultra Thin Pizza Crust
- Grillman’s Black Angus Beef FranksThese all natural, uncured beef hotdogs are the lowest sodium option we’ve found, and they taste great! They have just 220 mg of sodium – less than half what you find in most hot dogs. They are a little high in saturated fat, coming in at 6 g, but they are great for an occasional… Continue reading Grillman’s Black Angus Beef Franks
- Harry & David Cheese DipsThese dips are smooth, rich, and filled with cheesy flavor. The Dos Quesos dip has 2 g of fat of 50 mg of sodium in a two tablespoon serving. The Jalapeno Tomato Cheese Dip has 6 g of fat and 65 mg of sodium. These dips can also be used as sauces to add cheese… Continue reading Harry & David Cheese Dips
- Herb-Ox Sodium Free BouillonStock and bouillon are common ingredients in cooking, but they are usually very high in sodium. Herb-Ox makes sodium-free chicken and beef bouillon. Add a burst of flavor to gravies, marinades, soups, stews, rice dishes, pasta dishes and stir-fries Herb-Ox is a Hormel Foods company. See more Recommended Heart-Healthy products! Where to Buy Herb-Ox products… Continue reading Herb-Ox Sodium Free Bouillon
- King’s Hawaiian BreadShopping for heart-healthy foods – and especially low-sodium foods – is often frustrating. Selection is very limited, and some of the available products are frankly not very palatable. This is especially true of bread, which is almost always high in sodium, and is often high in fats. King’s Hawaiian Breads are a rare exception. They… Continue reading King’s Hawaiian Bread
- La Banderita Low Sodium TortillasIt’s not clear why, but low sodium tortillas are hard to find. Fortunately, La Banderita tortillas are widely available and tasty. Each tortilla has 1.5 g of saturated fat, and just 85 mg of sodium. See more Recommended Heart-Healthy products! Where to Buy La Banderita products are available at many supermarkets, and at Amazon.com.
- Mr. Spice SaucesFor people on low sodium diets, one of the hardest things to find is a good sauce – especially an Asian style sauce. Mr. Spice makes a range of sauces, including Honey BBQ, Ginger Stir-Fry, Garlic Steak, Honey Mustard, Indian Curry, Hot Wing, and more. All products are either sodium-free or low-sodium, gluten free, and… Continue reading Mr. Spice Sauces
- Mr. TortillaMr. Tortilla advertises their products as being keto-friendly, but they are also very low sodium. Each of these small, 6-inch tortillas has just 40 mg. And with 0 grams of saturated fat, and no cholesterol, these tortillas are truly heart-healthy. They come in several flavors: multigrain, pico de gallo, 3 chiles, and savory spinach. We’ve… Continue reading Mr. Tortilla
- Mrs Dash Spices & MarinadesMrs Dash is a venerable brand… they’ve been around since 1983, and they are a great option for anyone trying to reduce their sodium. They produce a full line of salt-free products, including seasoning, spice mixtures and marinade. The brand seems to have a bit of a stodgy reputation, but they actually produce a wide… Continue reading Mrs Dash Spices & Marinades
- Nathan’s French FriesNathan’s Crinkle Cut French Fries are a real treat for those of us on a heart-healthy diet. With just 1 gram of saturated fat and 20 mg of sodium, these fries have a Heart Health Score 97! Best of all, they don’t sacrifice flavor for health. Please note that the jumbo 28 ounce package contains… Continue reading Nathan’s French Fries
- Orville Redenbacher’s PopcornPopcorn is a great snack – high in fiber and low in calories – except when it’s loaded with saturated fat and sodium! Most brands of popcorn load up these cheap flavor enhancers, and turn a healthy snack into a minefield for your heart. Fortunately, Orville Redenbacher makes two popcorns that preserved the health benefits… Continue reading Orville Redenbacher’s Popcorn
- Silver Palate Low Sodium Pasta & Pizza SaucesFor some reason, companies seem to feel compelled to add salt – lots of salt – to pasta sauces! A typical supermarket sauce contains 18-30% of the Daily Value of sodium, in just a single serving! Surprisingly, Silver Palate – a brand best known for their passion for flavorful food – has produced not one,… Continue reading Silver Palate Low Sodium Pasta & Pizza Sauces
- Sprouts No Salt Added Marinara SauceFor some reason, companies seem to feel compelled to add salt – lots of salt – to pasta sauces! A typical supermarket sauce contains 18-30% of the Daily Value of sodium, in just a single serving! No surprisingly, Sprouts Farmers Market, which is dedicated to fresh, healthy food, has a no-salt-added organic marinara sauce that’s… Continue reading Sprouts No Salt Added Marinara Sauce
- Taco Bell SauceFor those of use who love Mexican food, it’s very frustrating that so many sauces, salsas, and spices are loaded with sodium. We recently found an exception – a flavorful taco sauce that’s very low in sodium. Surprisingly, it’s from Taco Bell! The sauce comes in three heat levels – mild, hot, and fire! All… Continue reading Taco Bell Sauce